The Windows search function has always been useful. With Windows 8 though, it assumed its current ever-present state. A lot of users have now actively started using the Search key as a replacement to Windows 7’s start menu components, and the famous jump list. Being among Windows 8’s few universally accepted features, it is no surprise seeing the search key retain its place in Windows 10. With the Technical Preview though, you might experience some problems when searching. The indexing is a bit patchy, as are the login screens, and even the OS installation process. To fix Windows 10 search functionality, all you need is a simple routine, which takes you through a set of some built-in system options.
While the option might not be obvious, Windows 10 does come with a rather easy way to fix Windows 10 search if the results appear a bit out of sync. The process outlined below helps you refresh the entire search index, and builds the whole thing from scratch.
Rebuilding Index To Fix Windows 10 Search
- As you would expect, the magic begins in Control Panel, so this is where you have to go first.
- In Control Panel, look for ‘Indexing Options’. If you can’t see that entry, then it is likely that you are using the more concise version of the Panel. This can be rectified by hitting the ‘View by’ option in the top-right corner and choosing ‘small icons’.
- The indexing menu doesn’t include a lot of options, and might not seem too useful for helping you fix Windows 10 search. The main area only lists locations where the search function performs its indexing. Ignore that list, and hit the ‘Advanced’ button.
- If you want to expand the range of your search results, this can be done by checking the top two options present in the Advanced tab. You can choose to leave those unchecked as well, if the aim is only to rebuild the search index in its present state.
- Hit the ‘Rebuild’ button.
You don’t have to do anything while the system reorganized all search results. This might take a considerable amount of time, but if you are stuck with a faulty search button, the fix is sure to be worthwhile.