Windows Phone Recovery Tool is fast becoming a very effective solution for all problems related to WP. Previously we have covered a method to restore bricked Lumia devices using WPRT. Since Microsoft is re-branding Windows Phone to Windows 10 Mobile, it makes sense that WPRT is compatible with the latest OS version as well. Though it is not very common at present, people have started reporting that the notorious blue screen of death makes an appearance on Windows 10 Mobile. One moment you might be close to finishing Windows 10 Mobile’s installation on your phone, the next it might show the dreaded white text on blue. Fortunately, WPRT can come to your rescue, and restore things to their normal state in a few simple steps.
When the blue screen error shows up on the screen, the default instructions are to try and restart your device. You might also need to perform a hard reboot to put things right. If both of these steps don’t work though, here is what you need to do in order to rollback to Windows Phone 8.1, the last stable version of Windows Mobile.
Getting rid of the Windows 10 Mobile BSOD
- Install the Windows Phone Recovery Tool by heading to the link provided at the end of this post.
- On your computer, launch WPRT.
- Connect your device to the computer and wait for it to recognize your phone.
- If the device isn’t recognized by WPRT, choose the ‘My phone was not detected’ option.
- The tool will take some time to bring up a list of Windows Phone devices. Locate yours from this list and click it.
- From the resulting dialog box, choose the ‘Reinstall software’ option.
- Ignore the warning on the next screen, since your phone is stuck in an unusable state anyway. Click ‘Continue’.
- Leave the device connected to your computer, while WPRT works on restoring your Windows 10 Mobile to its 8.1 predecessor. Since an entire OS image is being downloaded, this step might take a long time. Make sure your computer has an active internet connection to succeed.
- Configure your phone on WP 8.1 like you normally do.
Windows Phone Recovery Tool is surely becoming a one-stop shop for Windows 10 Mobile fixes. If you are ever unfortunate enough to encounter the Blue Screen, do try the above method as it might help you get out of a sticky situation.
Download Windows Phone Recovery Tool [Direct Link]