The registry editor in Windows has always been capable of doing wonderful things. In the recent past, Windows 10 has been tweaked by users via registry hacks to activate the dark theme and to get the Aero effect back. With the release of build 10122 of the Windows 10 Technical Preview, another minor eyesore has surfaced. If you are a bit particular about UI, the Windows 10 taskbar is sure to have given you the feeling that something is not right. The fact of the matter is that the Windows 10 taskbar displays miniature versions of tiles, rather than simple icons. While it is not possible to change this in the update’s default settings, you can do so via a rather simple registry editor tweak.
There are rumors that Microsoft will revert to using the icon look in the Windows 10 taskbar by the time the final build is released. There have been a lot of experiments in these pre-release builds, so don’t be surprised if this turns out to be true. In addition to this, MS is sure to take note if a lot of users provide negative feedback about the tiles on the Windows 10 taskbar via the Feedback app.
Changing Windows 10 Taskbar Tiles To Icons
- Open the registry editor. You can do so by typing ‘Regedit’ in the Run prompt, or navigating to the editor via the Windows 10 search function.
- Open the ‘Software’ folder located inside the ‘HKEY_CURRENT_USER’ main directory.
- Go to the following path within Software;
- In the Explorer entity, look for the option labeled ‘Advanced’ and right-click it.
- Select the ‘Create a DWORD’ entry from the right-click menu.
- Name the new DWORD “ImmersiveIconBackgroundSize”
- Set the value of the DWORD created in the previous step to 0 (zero).
- Restart your device.
Once the computer / tablet comes back on, you are sure to notice that the Windows 10 taskbar has lost its tiles look and is now displaying simple icons.
Unfortunately, there are reports that the icons don’t get rendered properly for some users. In this case, you can always revert to the initial state of the registry, by undoing the changes made above. As editing any value in the system’s registry is tricky, please make sure you are careful in following the above instructions.