Cortana and the Start menu revamp might have garnered a lot of publicity for Windows 10, but it’s the little things about the update that make it so perfect for daily use. Be it the amazingly cool Hero wallpaper, or Windows 10’s ability to offer default maps offline, you are sure to consider the update a major improvement over its predecessor. Microsoft might not have planned for the reintroduction of Solitaire in Windows 10 to become a major talking point, but it did come under a lot of scrutiny for all the wrong reasons. Windows 10 Solitaire ads have become controversial ever since Windows 10’s launch. In case you don’t know, users have to purchase a subscription to get rid of Windows 10 Solitaire ads. If you really don’t want to spend money on a default time-killer though, there is a way to remove these ads for free.
If you were anticipating a way to hack Windows 10’s in-app purchase system, you will be sorely disappointed. To block Windows 10 Solitaire ads, you just need to know which line to alter in some system files on your computer. Basically, by changing the DNS address of Solitaire, you are creating an indigenous Ad-blocker specifically for the game. Here is what needs to be done.
Changing DNS Details To Block Windows 10 Solitaire Ads
- A bit surprisingly, the method starts with the user opening Notepad. Just make sure you are doing so after signing in to your system’s administrator account.
- From the top bar in Notepad, click the ‘File’ option.
- Assuming that your Windows is installed in ‘C’ drive, go to the following path after hitting the ‘Open’ button.
If your system drive is not C, just replace C with your drive name.
- Make your way to the bottom of this file. At the end, add the following line without making changes to any other data.
- Press CTRL+S to save the changes.
- Restart Solitaire.
Windows 10 Solitaire ads should now be disabled. You will still see the area where the ads are usually displayed, but at least you won’t have to suffer the annoyance of accidentally clicking any ads whenever your game gets exciting.